Tuesday 30 June 2015

The Story behind ' Story' - my new limited edition range


I have recently been busy  updating and improving  my Story range. The  design has been changed  to have only the  illustration on one side  and the text on the other  - the idea being to make more of both.   














Also Story pieces are now limited edition and come in a beautiful bespoke padded box, making them collectible and ideal for a special gift.

Bespoke padded box
  
Some new designs have been added to the range, including mugs and jugs featuring illustrations and quotations from Jane Eyre  by Charlotte Bronte (my favourite novel) and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I used illustrations from some very old editions that I managed to find.



Part of the fun of the Story range for me is the research - seeking out vintage books with wonderful illustrations. The first few came from my favourite books from childhood, but these days I rummage in secondhand book shops hoping to find something amazing. One of my favourite finds was the illustration for my 'Solitude' design, which was a frontispiece from a very old Girl's Annual.

Solitude
The text on Story pieces comes from different sources. Sometimes I use a quotation from the same book as the illustration (as in Jane Eyre). Sometimes I love an illustration but it doesn't have interesting/meaningful text with it and then I use a quotation from something else or write my own words.

I used my own words for the 'Solitude' design









No comments:

Post a Comment